Lush Life Music : Frequently Asked Questions
At Lush Life Music we take customer satisfaction seriously, and the following information provides answers to our most frequently asked questions. If you are unsure or need further help or clarification, then please do not hesitate to contact us.
- How do I search for a chart on this web site? +
We have tried to make searching as easy as possible. There are a number of ways of finding what you want:
– In the top right hand corner of each page you will see a box “Search by name”. This quick-search box will find either the name of a song or the performer of a song. So, to find an Artie Shaw chart just type in “Artie” or “Shaw” and all of the relevant results will appear. To find a song that contains the word “love”, simply type “love” in the box and a list of charts will appear. Please note that if you are using an iPad (or similar) to view the site, please rotate your screen to a landscape view in order to display the search bar. If you are using an iPhone (or similar) the screen may not be large enough to display the search bar.
– At the top of each page you will see two “drop-down” menus – “Instrumentals” and “Vocals”. By rolling your mouse over these menus you will see a list of performers. Just click on any of these and you will be taken to a page showing all of our charts for that particular performer.
– In the top right hand corner of each page you will see a box “SEARCH ALL”. When you click on this you will be taken to a page that lists all of the charts on this site. On the left hand side you will see a series of filters – Performer, Style, Tempo etc.. You can use these filters to narrow down your search. To re-set them, click on the little red x.
- Can I set up an account, so I don’t have to re-enter my details every time I place an order? +
You certainly can:
– At the bottom of each page on this site you will see a link called My Account. If you are a first-time user on this site and wish to create an account, click on the ‘My Account’ link and register on the right hand side of the page by entering your email address and a password of your choice. Then click on the ‘Register’ button. Please make a note of your password, or have your browser remember it.
– Alternatively, if you are placing your first order on this site, when you reach the checkout page you will be asked to fill in your address and shipping details. Once you have done this, please tick the little “Create an account” box.
– If you are a returning customer, please log in on the My Account page using your email address and password. Clicking on the ‘Remember me’ box will save a bit of time in the future..
– Once you have logged in you can see your past orders, manage your shipping and billing addresses and edit your password and account details. When you are logged in and you want to place an order, your shipping details will automatically be filled in once you reach the checkout page.
– Please note that when you set up an account, you will NOT be asked to supply any credit card details or other personal financial information.
- I am using a mobile device or tablet and I can’t see the ‘Search’, ‘View cart’ and ‘Checkout’ buttons at the top of the page +
When you are using a mobile or a device that has a small screen, the website will detect this and replace these buttons with a small icon that looks like a hamburger. Three horizontal lines at the top right hand corner of the page. Just tap on this little hamburger and the hidden buttons will appear. Tap the hamburger and they will hide themselves again.
- When I checkout and try to pay, my payment fails +
There might be a number of reasons for this. The most common are:
– Your browser might be running script blockers. These will stop the cart and payment gateway from working correctly, so please disable any blockers whilst using our site.
– If you are ordering from outside of the UK please remember to check with your card provider that your card is able to be used for international transactions, otherwise our payment gateway may not be able to process your payment and our site will not accept your order. A quick call to your card provider is usually all it takes to solve the issue.
– Our payment gateway, Stripe, supports the following browsers:
- Chrome and Safari on all platforms
- Firefox on desktop platforms
- Android native browser on Android 4.4 and later
- Internet Explorer 9 and above
- Microsoft Edge
If you are using an old browser version that is no longer receiving security updates, please upgrade to a newer version.
- What do I get when I buy a Lush Life Music Big Band Chart? +
You will receive a pack containing 17 band parts – 5 saxes – 4 trumpets -4 trombones and 4 rhythm (PBGD), plus the vocal part(s), and a full score of the arrangement.
– Piano parts: Usually double stave (occasionally single) comprising bass line on the left hand and chord symbols in the right. They are not like the piano parts from the older Dance Band style of arrangements. Where required by the arrangement, fully written out passages are included.
– Bass parts: A mix of written notes and chord symbols. Easy grades tend to be fully written out. Advanced arrangements will have a mix of both.
– Guitar parts: Chord symbols and rhythmic patterns.
– Drum parts: Fully written only where required. Generally a guide to the drummer rather than an instruction. Band rhythms are notated, usually on the top line.
– Instructions: All dynamics are clearly marked, as are articulations and rehearsal letters. Measure (Bar) numbers are usually indicated.
– Media: All parts are printed on 100g paper, A3 or A4, and every arrangement comes with a full score included. Occasionally we include an extra instrument part in addition to the vocal part, making a vocal playable as an instrumental.
- I don’t want the whole chart. Can I just buy the score? +
Sorry, but the answer is no. We only offer complete arrangements – all parts plus a score.
- Can we email your music as a PDF file? +
People often ask if we can send them their music electronically as pdf files, instead of by mail. Sorry, but at the moment the answer is no. Under the terms of our copyright licenses, we are the only people allowed to reproduce our charts. If we send you a full chart as a pdf file, then it will be you who will print out the music, and therefore be in breach of Copyright law. So, for your protection we don’t let this happen. Therefore all of our music is sent as hard copies via postal or courier services.
We are examining some options for pdf delivery and as soon as this option becomes available we will let you know. We can offer our free charts as pdf files simply because we own the copyrights, and are happy to give them as pdf’s.
The internet is now a big place, and some websites have been known to offer some of our charts for sale as pdf copies. Anyone who sells pdf copies of our charts is doing so illegally, and anyone who buys them and prints them out is in breach of copyright too.
- How much does shipping cost? +
Air Mail shipments:
It is hard to be exact about this, because international Air Mail charges are based on package weight. However, as a rough guide, if you place an order for three charts on this website:
UK: – 5% of order price.
Europe: – 10% of order price.
N. America: – 16% of order price.
Australasia: – 19% of order price.
We offer a fixed price per order. So if you order 1 chart or 10 charts, the price is the same. In general terms:
Europe: – UK£ 22.00
N. America: – UK£ 29.00.
Rest of the World: – UK£ 42.00.
Please remember that some counties will impose import tariffs and duties on certain types of merchandise which the receiver will have to pay before delivery can be made. If in doubt, please consult your local customs authorities prior to placing your order.
- How long will it take for my chart to arrive? +
We aim to ship all orders within 2 business days of receipt of order. We may take a little longer during particularly busy periods. The average delivery times from date of dispatch are:
|Location||Air Mail Shipping||Courier|
|Europe||4-5 working days||2 working days|
|North America||8-10 working days||2-5 working days|
|South America||10-12 working days||3-5 working days|
|Australasia||8-10 working days||3-5 working days|
These are the times quoted by the postal service, though they are not guaranteed. Sometimes orders will arrive sooner than quoted, and sometimes they may take longer, especially during busy times for the mail services such as Christmas and Easter.
- Can I return my purchase? +
Sorry, but we cannot accept returned goods if the chart is not suitable for your band. Our sample scores, audio files and brass range information is there to help you decide whether the arrangement is suitable for your needs.
We will of course accept returns for goods that were defective or shipped in error.
If you wish to make a return for another reason please contact our order office and we will be happy to discuss.
- How are our Big Band charts graded for difficulty? +
The arrangements are graded as Easy, Medium and Advanced, or a combination of these. The general rules are as follows, though please remember that they are a very rough guideline. Because a chart is rated easy doesn’t mean that it is not interesting to play or listen to. Night & Day is easy, yet is great in performance. Three’s A Crowd is challenging, but will not suit all tastes!
– Easy: Straightforward instrumental and rhythmic passages. Brass ranges are not overly demanding. Lead Trumpet may reach a written top C, Lead Trombone a top A or Bb. The instrument voicings are designed to sound rich and full. Solos tend to be written out.
– Medium: Suitable for competent College, amateur and semi-pro bands. Brass ranges tend to be higher, with lead Trumpet parts reaching top D or Eb, and Lead trombone parts top B,C or C#. Solos are usually ad lib from given chords. Tempos may be faster, and good sectional techniques are required.
– Advanced: Playable by experienced musicians, probably in a good semi-pro or pro band. Some arrangements may be graded here because of particular demands on only one or two players in the band, whilst the rest of the band may have easy or medium parts.
If in any doubt about an arrangement, please send us an email and we will offer our advice.
- What do the Instrument Ranges mean? +
In the individual chart descriptor pages on this site we give the instrument ranges for all 8 of the brass in each big band arrangement. These are the highest notes played by each part and are written “as played”. Therefore when the 1st Trumpet shows G5 for example, it is sounded as a concert F5. For reference, middle C is C4.
What does actually C4 mean? We decided to use the American Scientific Pitch Notation, also known as the Acoustical Society of America System, which defines middle C as C4, based on the layout of a standard grand piano. We did this because Big Band music, particularly swing music had its roots in the USA, so it seemed right to use the US system. If you are in any doubt, please email us using the form on the contact page. The following graphic might prove helpful:
- Can we offer charts in different keys, to suit different voice ranges? +
We are sometimes asked if we can transpose charts to suit the vocal ranges of different singers. Sorry, but at the moment we don’t offer transpositions of our charts, for a couple of reasons:
Firstly, our print and production facility is not suited to produce “one-off” prints, as it is designed for bulk production. The other issue is that by simply transposing the charts to a different key some of the instruments may well move above or below their playable ranges. This would then mean us having to re-score or re-harmonize the whole chart, which would be a time consuming process, and would detract from our production of new works.
- Pricing and Currency conversion questions +
Our charts are sold in UK Pounds Sterling. We are often asked if we sell our arrangements in other currencies, and how much it would be. When you place an order on this site and pay by credit / debit card, your card provider will convert Pounds Sterling into your own currency automatically using their exchange rate at the time, and usually at no charge. You will usually see the transaction on your statement in your local currency.
If you are ordering from outside of the UK please remember to check with your card provider to ensure that your card is able to be used for international transactions, otherwise we will not be able to process your payment and ship your order. A quick call to them is all it takes. Thank you.
To get an idea of what our charts will cost in your own currency, you can click on the currency converter link on our home page. Please note that this tool is NOT a guarantee of the exact rate that will be used for your order, because it will be your card company that will do the conversion using their own rate on the day that your charts are charged to your card.
If in any doubt about pricing, please send us an email and we will offer our advice.
- Adobe Acrobat +
All of our sample scores are written in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, so that files are small in size, readable by just about any PC and can be printed out to suit your printer and size of paper. So you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 5.0 or higher. If you already have Acrobat Reader on your system please check the software version. You can do this by launching Acrobat Reader and clicking Help on the menu, and then About Acrobat Reader. The version number will be displayed.
The reason that you need version 5.0 or higher is that it integrates with your web browser, so that when you download a PDF file it appears in your browser window, and you can view it immediately. Also the files are smaller and therefore quicker to download. Our files will probably open in version 4.0 but may not display properly. If you do not have Acrobat Reader you will not be able to see our score samples.
- Website Security +
– This Lush Life Music website uses WooCommerce software for the store pages. WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the software that runs 26% of the web. Regularly audited by Sucuri, an industry leader in security, you’re in good hands.
– Payments made via our website are handled by Stripe, which can accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diners Club cards, even Bitcoin and Apple Pay.
– This website’s payment gateway conforms to PCI-DSS standards. Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard “PCI DSS” is the global card industry security standard, which is established by five major international payment brands, JCB, American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa, to enhance cardmember data and transaction data security.
– So, when placing an order on our website, you can be confident that your card and personal information will be safe and secure. We do not keep or store any credit card information on this site or on our computers.